Background

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Darkest Mercy



What do you do if you've read a book by an author you genuinely find admirable and a lovely person, but you find the book is only so-so? What do you say if you then are bound to post a review said mediocre offering?  I guess--if you're me--you put it off a couple days and then you post the following:

Melissa Marr is an enjoyable writer who (as I've said in a previous review) has a history of hits and misses with me. I hate to say it, but Darkest Mercy is a miss. It isn't good when I repeatedly think to myself, "Yes, mmm-hmm, yeah, already know this. Can we get on with it, already?", only to eventually ask, "Wait, what? That was the big bang? Did I miss it when I blinked a second ago? No?".

At best, Darkest Mercy is an okay book with an awesome cover, some pretty people expressing overwrought angst (yes, there is such a thing), and though it has little to offer by way of an actual story line, alienated-but-romantic teens will slurp it up like an energy drink.

I'm not a fan of energy drinks (hello, yucky flavor and acidic aftertaste!), so this one gets a Borrow from me, which would be a Bypass if it weren't for teen hordes everywhere, of which I am a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment